Friday, May 21, 2010

GENRE IS AWESOME JUST ADMIT IT POPULAR CULTURE, do not make the baby robot jesus cry!


That's why nothing in Lost makes sense. Because to make it make sense you have to admit it's a science fiction show and explain why things happen. You have to treat your own story with respect, and not just wave your hands in the air and blabber about your characters which you never bothered to make engaging in the first place BECAUSE YOU WERE WRITING A SCIENCE FICTION SHOW AND THE MYTHOLOGY MADE UP FOR THE LACK OF AWESOME CHARACTERS. Jesus, it's like Golden Age SF Excuse 101.

YES! I agree with ALL OF THIS! Lost, I have issues with you, which is why I never watched past the first season! This is ALSO my problem with Glee, which I want to love, because MUSICAL!!!! but the characters are all over the place! Is Mercedes confident or does she have an eating disorder? Where is Quinn living? Is Finns' dad alive (season 1) or a deceased Gulf War veteran (season 2). Why do the interactions between Rachel and Flinn make NO SENSE? .... fake pregnancy, nooooooooo. Also, for the love of singing baby robot jesus, give Mike a speaking role and at least ONE SONG. ......I know Glee is not sci fi! but it is a GENRE! and i feel it is experiencing genre fail and so my desire to love it is constantly thwarted. Sci fi gets by on mythology and shiny toys! and sometimes characters! Musicals get by on awesome musical numbers, costumes and mostly likable characters with a few love-to-hate characters (see: Singing in the Rain as the platonic ideal of Musicals), but Glee constantly undercuts all my character love!

Incidentally, it's not like Lost is alone in this. Every time some producer claims a show isn't science fiction while standing in front of a huge spaceship set baby robot Jesus cries. Yes, BSG, I'M TALKING TO YOU.

BSG, my love for you is complicated and I refuse to watch the end of the 4th season! J.J.Abrams! I am still angry about the last season of Alias and I apparently will never forgive it, and Grrrrr re: Lost, and I watched the Star Trek movie kind of despite you because the casting & characterizations were AWESOME but the actual sci-fi parts and plot part of the movie made no sense, and you put a Rimbaldi sphere in Star Trek, REALLY? WHY? I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE EXISTENCE OF RED MATTER! Who made it? Why did they create it? Why would you fly around with a giant sphere of it if 3 drops can blow up a planet?


Just know, from here on in, when someone says their show isn't science fiction when it obviously is, what they mean is their show isn't good. Lies do not become us, gentlemen.



No comments: